What is [email protected]?
[email protected] is a free online platform to help U.S. educators, their students, and the wider public learn about the Earth science of the place where they live. It includes regionally-focused guides to Earth science, introductions to Earth science topics (e.g., plate tectonics, rocks, minerals, etc.), interactive Virtual Field Experiences, and hundreds of 3D models of mineral, rock, and fossil specimens. Learn more about [email protected] here.
What are the Workshops?
We are hosting a series of free online (Zoom) workshops to introduce educators to Earth science resources on [email protected] that are focused on the region of the United States where they live. The first of these workshops will be about the Earth science of the southeastern United States. The associated content is being supported by a grant to PRI from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), as are the workshops themselves. Use the links below to register.
- Southeast: April 7 @ 4:30 pm EDT - Watch video recording (YouTube)
- South Central: May 5 @ 6:30 pm EDT - Watch video recording (YouTube)
- Southwest: June 1 @ 6:30 pm EDT - Watch video recording (YouTube)
- West: Rescheduled for August 31 @ 7:00 pm EDT - Register
- Northwest Central: Date/time will be announced later.
- Midwest: Date/time will be announced later.
- Northeast: Date/time will be announced later.
Next Workshop: Earth Science of the Western United States and Hawaii (August 31, 2022 @ 7:00pm EST)
Covers: Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Hawaii
- Dr. Jonathan Hendricks, Director of Science Communication, PRI
- Dr. Elizabeth Hermsen, Research Scientist, PRI
- Dr. Don Haas, Director of Teacher Programing, PRI
- Dr. Robert Ross, Associate Director for Outreach, PRI
Working Agenda (all times EST):
- 6:30 pm - Welcome & Introductions
- 6:40 pm - Introduction to [email protected]
- 7:00 pm - Introduction to Here on Earth Regional Guides and The Earth Science of South-Central US
- 7:15 pm - Explore and prepare to share
- 7:30 pm - Discussion
- 7:55 pm - Feedback form
Please note that the workshop will be streamed live on YouTube and will be recorded. If you do not wish to be recorded, please watch the recording. It will be posted here after the workshop.
Video Recordings of Past [email protected] Workshops
Southeastern United States
Covers Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, and West Virginia.
South Central United States
Covers Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Kansas.
Southwestern United States
Covers Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico.